I have tried many lava cake recipes and this is by far the best and easiest that I have tried / and after a couple of attempts I have finally dialed in the perfect baking time!
Note that this will vary between ovens, but for me 16 minutes with 6 minutes of cool down is just perfect, with the cake fairly firm but still slowly running out once you cut it open. For my husband it's 14 minutes as he likes it more wet and runny. My previous attempt had it baking for 12 minutes and that was way too runny.
|16 minutes result|
|Baked for 12 minutes and cooled for 8 minutes result|
52g all purpose flour, sieved
112g unsalted butter, room temperature
225g dark chocolate
Preheat oven to 200 degree celsius.
1. Grease your ramekins with butter and coated them evenly with sugar.
2. Double boil method - Melt the dark chocolate and leave it aside to cool.
3. Using hand mixer, whisk the butter and sugar together.
4. Then add the eggs in one at a time. Whisk to incorporate well.
5. Add in sifted flour. Give a quick whisk.
6. Pour the cool melted chocolate in and mix well.
7. Pour onto ramekins and bake for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven, set it aside to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Dust with powder sugar (icing sugar).
1. Coating with sugar will help prevent batter from sticking to ramekins and also a crispy crust as it bakes.
2. Use a good quality dark chocolate.
|Baked for 14 minutes and cooled for 8 minutes result|