After seeing a YouTube video where some girls make what they call a "Space Cake", my son asked me to bake one too!
Well, I'm not exactly an astronomer, but I think I would call this a Nebula cake instead.
Soft vanilla sponge cake in vibrant green, turqoise and purple colors, and while its not exactly what my son wanted - it's difficult not to decorate it with frosting design and pearls. I'm a woman after all.
Facebook link - https://www.facebook.com/sassyangelakitchen/photos/a.469362976603634.1073741842.233664896840111/555463067993624/?type=3&theater
110g unsalted butter (room temperature)
145g granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
170g cake flour, sifted
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
120ml milk (room temperature)
300ml heavy cream (36%fat content)
2.5 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
Violet food coloring
*Whisk the heavy cream & sugar then add vanilla essence and food coloring - beat until trails formed (2-3mins). Chill in fridge.
Edible food coloring
4 baking pans at 15cm
1. Butter your cake pans and line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, beat the butter until soft and creamy. Then add the sugar in and beat till light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time. Remember to scrape the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla essence and beat until combined.
4. Add the flour (with salt and baking powder) in by 3 additions and milk in by 2 additions. Mix till just combined. Do not overbeat.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
5. Divide batter evenly among 3 bowls. Using food colors, tint batter in 1 bowl teal, 1 bowl royal blue and 1 bowl violet Mix well.
6. Then scoop/design as you like into each baking pan. The batter in each pan (excluding the pan) will weigh about 140g.
7. Bake at preheated oven 25 - 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely.
8. Assemble the cake - sandwich the layers together with a little of the frosting and then cover the entire cake with the remaining frosting, smoothing with a palette knife.
1. Every oven's temperature varies. I baked these together on the middle rack at 160 degrees celsius for 23 minutes.
2. I'm using wilton colors and they are Teal, Royal Blue and Violet.