Char Siew in Sweden? Yes, it is! What can be more satisfying than a great meal??!! Sweet, tender soft meat - my husband who is Swedish loves this dish!
What is Char Siew? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Char_siu
YouTube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z4InpQFyK4
Facebook link - https://www.facebook.com/sassyangelakitchen/photos/a.233714530168481.1073741830.233664896840111/475595635980368/?type=3&theater
800g pork collar
1 1/2 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 1/2 tbsp LKK light soya sauce...
1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp LKK dark soya sauce
4 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tbsp honey
LKK = Lee Kum Kee Sauce
For a smaller portion recipe - http://platepalate.blogspot.se/2015/08/char-siew-by-angela-seah-thulin.html
1. Mix above together with the meat and marinate overnight.
2. Remove pork from fridge and rest for 15-20mins to room temperature.
3. In a pot on med-high heat, add the pork and pour all the marination sauce in and cook it with lid covered. Stir / flip the meat every 5-8 minutes to ensure each side evenly cooked and to prevent charred. At around 20 minutes - Turn heat to medium and check if the meat is cooked by poking to see if the juice run clear.
4. Around 25minutes, sauce will slowly thicken and likely some parts of the meat will charred. Total cook time should not be more than 30minutes, depending on how thick your meat is.
*Optional step - If you like your meat to be more charred, after all the above steps, bake in preheated oven 200degree for 2-3 mins at each side. Bake the meat for a few more minutes if you prefer it to be more charred.
|After 25 minutes|
1. I am using electric stove and my total cook time using ceramic pot for this 800g pork took me exactly 31minutes. If you are using gas stove, you may have to flip the meat very often as well as controlling the heat.
2. Remove meat from pot and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
3. Because the sauce has thicken, i added 30ml water in, stir to mix well and boil the mixture again. I used this sauce to drizzle on the rice.
4. The type of pork I used in Swedish is Fläskkarré.