1 whole duck
8 tbsp sugar
2.5 cups water
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
1 dried bay leaf
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp Lee Kum Kee dark soy sauce
8 slices of blue ginger
5 slices ginger, gently smashed
1. Clean the whole duck.
2. Rub salt all over the duck and rinse off. Then pat dry the duck.
3. Stuff any few slices of the ginger into cavity.
4. Heat up wok. Pour the sugar in and cook till it melts.
5. Hold the duck (hand at one end each), sear one side of the duck by few secs then flip to the other to cook.
6. Pour dark soya sauce on top of the duck body, then add water (covering at least 1/2 of the duck), add cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves, bay leaf and ginger.
7. Give a stir and cover with lid. Let it cook on low heat for 2hrs.. Flip the duck at every 15-20minutes.
1. My duck weighed 1.7kg
2. I cooked my braised duck for 1 hour 10 mins on low heat using Le Creuset 27cm pot.