Either we didn't have chicken rice for a long time or we simply love chicken rice.. this meal was so satisfying. My husband drank the soup directly from his bowl without using his spoon, and kept commenting - the meal today tastes so good. Tender meat along with good soy sauce and chilli, how to stop eating? This is a famous dish in South East Asia.
Whole chicken (1.2kg)
5-6 cups water
1 tsp chicken powder
1-2 pandan leaves
7 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1 Lemon grass (cut into 2, bruise gently)
2 stalks of scallions
1.5 cups rice
water as needed or soup from the chicken
1 tbsp chicken rice paste
Opt - 1 tsp chicken powder
C) To prepare the light soy sauce -
2 stalks of coriander, the stems only
1.5 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
In a bowl with 100ml hot water, add the coriander stems in to soak and press abit. Then add all other ingredients in and stir until sugar dissolves. Done.
1. Wash and clean the chicken. Then rub the whole chicken with 1/2 tsp salt (rinse off).
2. In a pot with boiling water, ensure that the water is just enough to cover the whole chicken. Place the chicken in and cook each side for 1 min and remove the chicken. Keep the water. Rinse the chicken with cold water until the whole chicken is no longer warm.
3. Place the chicken back into that pot of water. Add the rest of the ingredients (A) in. Let it cook in med-high heat for 30mins with lid covered (depending size of chicken, can be few more mins).
4. After 30mins, remove the whole pot from heat, move it aside. DO NOT OPEN THE LID TO PEEK at the chicken. Let it stay inside with lid covered for another 30mins.
5. Cook the rice as per your normal method.
6. Prepare the soy sauce. Drizzle some of the soy sauce over the chicken.
Serve with sliced cucumber, tomatoes, bean sprouts or any vegetables.
1. My husband suggested to use 2 stalks of lemongrass for the soup instead.
2. I used 5 cups water only and boil the chicken in extreme low heat and cooked for a total of 40 mins.
3. If you like to try cooking chicken rice from scratch, here's a link - https://www.facebook.com/sassyangelakitchen/photos/a.233714530168481.1073741830.233664896840111/362611607278772/?type=3&theater
Chicken rice chilli recipe - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155067625970433&set=gm.787114804676155&type=1&theater