Best lemon cake i ever had was in France, Paris. Thereafter i have never gotten to taste anything close to it. Until this recipe - i love it! I have baked this many times and despite that, i still swallow my saliva whenever i'm cutting it. My husband loves it and now my mother in law also compliments that it is great. Moist and taste of lemon is perfect!
190g all-purpose flour
1 tsp double action baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp grated lemon zest (outer yellow skin of one lemon)
Opt - 1.5 tsp poppy seeds
170g unsalted butter, room temperature
140g granulated white sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 to 3 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar (adjust sweetness accordingly)
*Pop into the microwave for 25 seconds to melt the sugar.
Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius
1. Grease your loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, lemon zest, poppy seeds and salt together. Set aside.
3. In the mixing bowl, beat the butter till soft and creamy then add sugar in and beat till light and fluffy. Then add the eggs in one by one and beat till just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Then add vanilla essence in. Mix well.
4. Add the flour in by 3 additions and the milk in by 2 additions. Beat till its just combined. Do not overbeat.
5. Pour onto the loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Microwave the glaze and then brush it on top of the hot cake. Let it cool aside for 20 minutes.
1. Every oven's temperature varies. I baked my lemon cake at 160 degree celsius for 46 minutes.
2. Not much of a difference actually but I reduce butter to 160g.
3. I cooked 1/2 tbsp poppyseeds in a small pot till warm, this has enhanced the fragrance.
4. I've baked this many times. And super love this easy recipe. The best is to consume it next day..
5. Omit poppyseeds and replace with chia seeds, it works as well.
Recipe origin - Joy of baking