It's my son 13th birthday today! Officially a teenager! He loves soccer very much and will never miss any of his training. So on this special day, i think a soccer ball cake would be a perfect fit. As this is my first time baking such a cake, I ordered the mould online, at least it will help me to achieve a round shape cake. It's actually not needed, any stainless steel round bowl will work.
Soccer ball cake
Blueberry purée or use jam
Sugar if you puree
Part (B) - filling
300ml of heavy cream
3 tbsp of granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Blueberry purée or jam
*Whisk the heavy cream & sugar till trails formed/creamy (3-4mins), stir in purée then chill in fridge.
Part (C) - Buttercream/Coating
450g unsalted butter
600g icing powder or adjust sweetness accordingly
1-2 tsp vanilla essence
1-3 tbsp milk (1.5% fat)
Edible black food coloring
*Cream the above and add 1 tbsp milk in per time to achieve the right spreading consistency. On high speed, whisk till light and fluffy. I used 2 tbsp of milk only.
6 egg yolks
4 tbsp sugar
90ml vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla essence
100g cake flour, sieve
4 egg white
4 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp of cornflour
*In a clean metal bowl, whisk the egg white till foamy follow by adding cream of tartar and whisk till soft peak form then add sugar in slowly and continue whisking. Then add corn flour and whisk till stiff peak formed.
1. Do Part A, B and chill them in fridge.
2. Part C divide portion into black n white and set aside.
3. Part (D) - Whisk the egg yolks and sugar till light and fluffy. Then add water, vegetable oil, vanilla essence n whisk till mix. Add cake flour and whisk all till well-mix (will look runny).
4. Then do Part (E)
*Preheat your oven now at 170degree celsius.
5. In 3 additions - using a spatula or balloon whisker, take the part (E) and FOLD in to Part (D) till well-combine.
7. Pour into the mould. Into the preheated oven and bake.
8. Remove and let it cool. Then level it into two.
9. Spread filling (part B) in between. Then coat the outside layer with buttercream and chill in the fridge first. After that, pipe and deco with buttercream.
Every oven is different. I baked at 160degree for 39mins.
Color - i used extreme black, wilton for green