Chocolate Chips Chiffon cake by Angela Seah Thulin
5 egg yolks
3 tbsp granulated sugar
100g cake flour, sifted + 1/2 tsp baking soda (combine them)
1 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
40ml water or chocolate milk
3 tbsp oil
4 tbsp chocolate chips
Ingredients B -
5 egg whites
4 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Steps for ingredients A -
1. Using double boil method, melt the chocolate and stir till smooth. Then add the oil in and stir to well mixed and smooth.
2. Using a hand mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar till light and frothy.
3. Transfer no. 1 to no. 2. Add the water, cocoa powder and cake flour in and beat till combined.
4. Set aside.
Steps for ingredients B -
1. In a clean metal bowl, using mixer, beat the egg whites till bubbles formed then add cream of tartar in. Continue beating then add sugar in slowly. Beat till stiff peak formed.
To assemble -
1. Scoop half of the ingredients B into ingredients A and fold them in gently. Follow by the other half. Then gently fold the chocolate chips in.
2. Pour onto 21cm (i'm using a 23cm mould) pan and bake in preheated oven 140 degree celsius for 30 - 40 minutes or until its baked.
3. Invert cake immediately and onto cooling rack until completely cooled.
Just like me, my oven is pretty hot-tempered thus I baked at 125 degree celsius with foil covered for first 20 minutes and then another 28 minutes without.